Every time I grab my phone or turn the TV on, all I see is Coronavirus related. To be honest, it feels quite stressful living in such an uncertain environment 😞 So different from what I saw a few weeks ago as China decided to lockdown Wu Han in order to contain the disease. I thought the possibility of a quarantine in the UK was close to zero. I was so wrong.
People have their panic mode ON 😱 That’s why supermarkets have been pretty much emptied. Unfortunately most shopping has not been rational at all. People fighting for toilet paper for no good reason at all 🤔 These uncertain times require tough measures, that is why I decided to voluntarily self-isolate at home. I am not sick, but I just want to feel safe.
OK catharsis time ends HERE and NOW.
Let’s take 3 long deep breaths. Inhale and Exhale. Connect with your inner calm.
On the bright side, staying at home has been a very positive experience for me. As I didn’t want do Netflix marathons all day long, I decided to do some brainstorming ☁️ and came up with a list of 10 things to do mindfully at home.
- Take an online course: There are several options these days, even in YouTube. To explore my creative side, I love using Creative Live and Skillshare. As I wanted to start painting with watercolours, I reviewed what Skillshare had to offer and started this course 🎨
- Write: Have you ever tried “free writing”? All you need is pen and paper. Start writing without thinking or editing. Let your imagination fly! You can even write about this experience. It can be quite cathartic!
- Read: Why don’t you finish reading that book that has been sitting like forever (LOL) on your night table? Or maybe you can start reading a new one. I’m currently reading “Radical Compassion” by Tara Brach. Want other reading options? Check out my Goodreads’ page here.
- Listen to music: Listen to anything you fancy and makes you move 🎵 I’m currently dancing while listening to the “Happy hits” playlist in Spotify!
- Listen to podcasts: It’s similar to number 4, BUT you can actually learn a lot from them. There are many options in Spotify and YouTube. One of my favourites is The Marie Forleo Podcast.
- Cook: If you are not a very experienced cook (like ME) YouTube can become your new best friend. Just type in the search box whatever you wish to prepare plus “easy recipe” and bon appétit!
- Enjoy a good a chat: Pour a good cuppa and enjoy some bonding time with your family. If you are all by yourself, call that friend or family member that you’ve been meaning to call for a long time.
- Play: Connect with your inner child by playing Cluedo, Life, Monopoly or any board game you like OR challenge yourself with a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle.
- Netflix: Look for something interesting, funny or nourishing. I recently finished watching the first season of “Next in Fashion”. It reminded me so much to Heidi Klum’s Project Runway.
- Meditate: If you have never meditated before, try taking 3 long deep breaths each morning and evening. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. You can mentally say: “I breathe in peace. I breathe out what I no longer need.”
I hope this information inspires you to stay mindfully at home 🏠 Please take good care of yourself and do not forget to wash your hands with soap and water regularly. If you have any doubts about the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19), click here to review the World Health Organization’s recommendations.
Curious about meditation? Feel free to leave me a comment here or drop me an email with your queries at firstname.lastname@example.org 📩
P.S. Are you already on Mindful Pili’s mailing list? 💌 When you subscribe, you will receive access to “My 5 tips for building a habit mindfully”.
“You can’t calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass.”Timber Hawkeye